Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
Wallet activism can help accelerate LGBTQ activism
We can use wallet activism to help benefit us and the people and causes that are important to us. Make a difference by voting with your dollars. Start by having more money in your pocket by getting rid of any credit card debt with the free 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Use your dollars to have an impact on LGBTQ activism
How often have you felt like you want to make a difference in the world, but you can’t make a real impact as only one person? Well… that’s exactly what they want you to think. Companies, politicians, billionaires, and others have made fortunes off of us believing we don’t have the power to change the world.
Tanja Hester is the author of the Our Next Life blog, Work Optional, and the new book, Wallet Activism. She is famous for retiring at age 38 and was dubbed the “matriarch” of the women’s FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) movement by The New York Times.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Tanja joins us to discuss the idea of wallet activism and why it is so important to spend our money on products and services that align with our values. Listen in to learn how marginalized communities may be unknowingly purchasing against their own interests, why philanthropy can have serious consequences, and how marketers have convinced people they can’t make a difference.
Tanja’s insight and tips on wallet activism:
Topics covered on LGBTQ activism
- The definition of wallet activism and how it has gotten lost in the current consumption society
- Why being intentional about wallet activism means deciding both where to shop and where not to shop
- How easy substitutions to our regular products are extremely possible
- How folks in marginalized communities may be purchasing against their own self-interests without knowing it
- Starting wallet activism by prioritizing the issues you care most first and aligning your spending habits accordingly
- The importance of identifying the gaps in information and details that marketers have deliberately left unaddressed about the negative effects of any given product
- Why more responsibility for activism comes with higher income
- Changing the narrative around cutting down on non-essentials and making a difference with limited resources
- The hidden consequences of toxic billionaire philanthropy and why you should donate on a regular basis
- Why indifference is the enemy and how often people are convinced they can’t make a difference
Connect with Tanja
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Resources about LGBTQ activism
- Wallet Activism: How to Use Every Dollar You Spend, Earn, and Save As a Force for Change, by Tanja Hester
- Work Optional: Retire Early the Non-Penny-Pinching Way, by Tanja Hester
- Our Next Life Blog
Watch below rather than listen to this Queer Money®:
How can you get more Debt Free Guys and Queer Money®?
Get more on the intersection of purpose and money:
- How to Plan for the 4th Industrial Revolution
- 37 Best Tips on How to Become Debt Free
- Heterosexual Privilege and Your Money
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.