Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
What’s the problem with and what can be done with today’s capitalism
Find out what you can do on a personal level to advocate for the change you want to see in the world on this Queer Money® podcast episode and then kick off your financial independence journey now by getting your free copy of the 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
If the current system of capitalism isn’t working for most folks, what can be done to fix it?
Last week, we debated the merits of capitalism versus anti-capitalism. And to our surprise, we shared a lot of opinions and beliefs with our anti-capitalist guests regarding the flaws in our existing system. But if the current system of capitalism isn’t working for so many folks, what can be done to fix it?
Hadassah Damien is the economics researcher and financial consultant behind Ride Free Fearless Money and cohost of Bottom Lines Top Dollars, a podcast about money by queer creatives in finance.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Hadassah is back to discuss how we might build a new economic system around the ideas of relationship and responsibility, describing how we might incentivize both social and financial returns. Hadassah explains how a universal basic income would allow more people to do jobs they enjoy and explores economic models in the EU that provide greater autonomy because they take care of basic human needs.
Listen here to find out what can be done with today’s capitalism:
Topics covered about what can be done with today’s capitalism
- The MLK quote re: America’s socialism for the rich and rugged individualism for the poor
- How Hadassah thinks about people gaming any economic system we might build
- Combining the functional elements of capitalism (innovation, autonomy) with a safety net
- How we might build a new economic system around indigenous ideas of relationship and responsibility
- The argument that the economic system we live in is a perversion of capitalism
- What we might do to incentivize both social and financial returns
- The concept of a triple bottom line that measures a company’s social and environmental impact as well as its financial returns
- How universal basic income would allow more people to do jobs they enjoy
- Economic models in the EU provide more autonomy because they take care of basic human needs
- Hadassah’s challenge to identify your values, find work you’re interested in and advocate to get paid a living wage for it
- The B Corp business model for doing good in the world and making money
- How to determine if a new economic experiment is moving in the right direction
Connect with Hadassah
Resources on what can be done with today’s capitalism
- Chad Nash on Queer Money® EP005
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
- The Theory of Moral Sentiments by Adam Smith
- Don’t Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It’s Raining by Judy Sheindlin
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Get more on today’s capitalism
- A Debate on Capitalism vs Anti-Capitalism
- The Real Reason for Income Inequality
- What Makes Money A Made-Up Thing?
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.