Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
Are you aware of recent social security changes for same-sex couples?
Will your social security benefits be enough for you to retire? Take the first step in reaching financial security by paying off your credit card debt. Start by getting your free copy of the 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Could you be one of the two groups of people previously denied spousal or survival benefits?
Imagine struggling financially for decades and then getting a $90,000 payout from Social Security. Or having your monthly Social Security benefits double. Would you like it if it happened to you? Or someone you know? It could. And it IS due to recent changes in Social Security for same-sex couples.
Aaron Tax is Director of Federal Government Relations at SAGE, an advocacy and service organization for LGBTQ+ elders. He has 10 years of experience advocating for LGBTQ+-inclusive policies that account for the unique needs of older adults in our community.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Aaron joins us to explain the recent Social Security policy changes for domestic partners, discussing the two groups of LGBTQ+ people previously denied spousal and survivor benefits who are now eligible. Aaron describes how to prove that you are (or were) in a committed, same-sex relationship to receive these benefits, and we offer examples of LGBTQ+ individuals whose monthly Social Security payments increased dramatically as a result of the changes. Listen in for Aaron’s insight on the budgeting resources available to seniors through SAGE and learn how YOU can help spread the word about Social Security and change the financial lives of any LGBTQ+ elders you know!
Get Aaron’s insight on recent same-sex social security changes:
Topics covered on same-sex social security changes
- The role SAGE plays in improving the lives of older LGBTQ+ individuals
- Aaron’s work around changing public policy to benefit LGBTQ+ seniors
- Why the Social Security Administration is making changes to its policy re: same-sex social security changes for spousal and survivor benefits
- The 2 groups of people previously denied spousal or survivor benefits who are now eligible
- How to prove that you are/were in a committed same-sex relationship to the staff at Social Security
- Examples of LGBTQ+ individuals whose Social Security payments increased dramatically as a result of these policy changes
- Why it’s crucial to spread the word re: Same-sex Social Security changes to LGBTQ+ seniors you know
- How SAGECents helps LGBTQ+ seniors with financial planning
Connect with Aaron
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Resources on social security changes
- ‘Social Security Opens to Survivors of Same-Sex Couples Who Could Not Marry’ in The New York Times
- Lambda Legal
- Thornton v. Saul
- Ely v. Saul
- David Freitag on Queer Money® EP054
- Credit Card Pay Off Plan
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher Guide
Get more on social security:
- How Social Security Offsets Could Ruin Your Retirement
- 37 Best Tips on How to Become Debt Free
- 9 Steps to Retire Fast(er)
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.