Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our gay little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping queer people live lives they truly love inside and out. We think happiness is a 360-degree experience (purpose, love, money, wellness, and lifestyle) that you also deserve. After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
Mark Turnipseed and his struggles with suicide and addiction
For Suicide Prevention Awareness Month, addiction, suicide survivor, model and happy gay man Mark Turnipseed shares how he’s managed these challenges. For more inspiration, download the 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life here.
Our deep discussion with Mark Turnipseed
Mark Turnipseed’s insight on suicide ideation
Mark Turnipseed is an LGBTQ activist, addiction recovery advocate, and model. He is also the author of the Amazon bestseller My Suicide Race: Winning Over the Trauma of Addiction, Recovery and Coming Out, a memoir that explores the relationships among addiction, suicidal ideation, and the trauma of coming out. In sharing his story, Mark is on a mission to help those of us with similar struggles.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Mark joins us to share his life-long fight with suicidal ideation, explaining when he realized he was gay and why he believed that wasn’t okay. He opens up about the factors that contributed to his struggle with addictive behaviors, describing how triathlon training helped him experience self-acceptance and as a result helped him realize that he has power over his thoughts. Listen in for insight on how Mark’s finances exacerbated his depression and in addition get insight around what to do if you or someone you love is living with suicidal thoughts.
Topics covered on suicide in the LGTBQ community
- When Mark started to realize he was gay and why he believed that wasn’t okay
- How lying about who we really are isn’t exclusive to the LGBTQ community
- The factors that contributed to Mark’s struggle with addictive behaviors
- Why Mark has struggled with thoughts of suicide his entire life
- How Mark’s substance abuse began as an identity and evolved into a physical and emotional need
- How training for triathlons helped Mark experience self-acceptance on a new level
- What Mark does now to navigate suicidal thoughts
- How Mark’s finances exacerbated his depression and suicidal ideation
- Mark’s advice on purposeful spending to break the debt depression cycle
- How realizing that he was not alone helped Mark see his way out of depression
- How being approachable and sharing your story can save someone’s life
Connect with Mark
- My Suicide Race: Winning Over the Trauma of Addiction, Recovery and Coming Out by Mark A. Turnipseed
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
- The Trevor Project 1-866-488-7386
- Crisis Text Line 741741
- Happy, Healthy, Wealthy Gay Men’s Toolbox
- 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]