Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
Why you should share How to Money
Learn how to spend according to your values on this Queer Money®. Then kick off your financial independence journey now by getting your free copy of the 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
What is your spending saying about your values?
Have you ever asked, ‘Why didn’t they teach us about money in grade school?’ Or thought you would have gotten way more out of a lesson on budgeting than all those calculus classes? Unfortunately, there was no primer to teach us Money 101. Until now!
Jean Chatzky is CEO of HerMoney Media, Host of the HerMoney Podcast, and Financial Editor at NBC’s Today Show.
Kathryn Tuggle is the Chief Content Officer and Gracie Award-Winning Editor-in-Chief at HerMoney and Producer of the HerMoney Podcast.
Together, Jean and Kathryn are the authors of How to Money: Your Ultimate Visual Guide to the Basics of Finance.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Jean and Kathryn join us to explain why they wrote How to Money in the voice of women for an audience of girls. Jean and Kathryn discuss why it was important to represent a diverse set of women in the book and describe how they think about overcoming the gender and racial wage gaps. Learn Jean & Kathryn’s exercise for spending according to your values.
Listen here for insight on how to avoid a ‘shopping hangover’:
Topics covered on how to money
- What inspired Jean & Kathryn to write How to Money
- How to do allowance in a way that teaches kids to use money as a tool
- Why Jean & Kathryn wrote How to Money in the voice of women for an audience of girls
- The danger in waiting until you have all the knowledge to invest perfectly
- Why it was important to Jean & Kathryn to represent a diverse set of women in How to Money
- How Jean & Kathryn think about the gender and racial wage gaps (and how to overcome them)
- Why Jean & Kathryn suggest advocating for a fair wage from your very first job
- Why Jean & Kathryn encourage their audience to share their salaries
- What individuals can do to equalize wages for minority and marginalized communities
- The science behind the mood boost we get from shopping and the spending hangover that follows
- An exercise for reflecting on past purchases to figure out if your spending aligns with your values
- How the Queer Money audience can get the word out about How to Money
Connect with Jean & Kathryn
Resources on how to money
- How to Money: Your Ultimate Visual Guide to the Basics of Finance by Jean Chatzky and Kathryn Tuggle
- Alliance for Lifetime Income
- InvestingFixx Course
- ‘How to Negotiate a Raise for Women: The New Rules for 2022’ in HerMoney
- Carnegie Mellon Study on Salary Negotiation
- Meredith Rollins on HerMoney EP023
- ‘4 Emotions That Explain Why You’re Spending Money’ in HerMoney
- TransUnion Report on Credit Card Debt
- Nina Cosford on Instagram
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Get more on how to money
- 11 Ways to Teach Kids About Money This Winter
- How to Pay Off Credit Card Debt in 2022
- 7 Simple Tips to Make the Best Budget Ever
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.