Are Gays Richer Than You?
On this Queer Money, we talked about whether or not the gay wealth disparity is real. Does the LGBT community have more wealth? Are gay men better off financially than our queer peers?
Are Gays Richer Than You? Video
Whether we are or we aren’t, here’s why and how we should make more money with more gay bloggers.
Are Gays Richer Than You? Guests
Karen Raforth is an LGBT activist and current host of Outsources on KGNU Denver/Boulder and former therapist in CU’s Counseling and Psychological Services. The Raforth Scholarship, named after Karen, honors the past and future work of trailblazers who are advocates for diversity.
Are Gays Richer Than You? Show Notes
- According to Freakenomics in 2013, gay men fared financially worse and lesbian women fared financially better. The reason is because gay men experience more workplace discrimination and lesbian women have families.
- Once anyone falls behind in education, the chances of them falling behind financially exponentially increases.
- The fight for equality didn’t end June 26, 2015.
- On the outside, gay men seem wealthier, but often that’s because people aren’t comparing apples to apples.
- The media focuses mostly on white, successful, gay couples, but they’re not indicative of the entire queer population.
- It gets better by making small, incremental steps towards improvement.
- Challenge yourself to spend time with better people.
- Find the people you want to be like and find a way to spend time with them.
- Spend your time with better people and don’t just move to where luck/unluck takes you.
- Give someone a hand up.
- Don’t stay isolated.
Are Gays Richer Than You? Conclusion
The gay wealth disparity is a myth, but there’s hope. Find people who are two to ten steps ahead of you and strive to be better. Hang out with innovators, creators and those who don’t accept defeat and then help your community. To learn more about how to create a queer blog and create more LGBT wealth, follow this step-by-step guide.