Paying for Your Gay Wedding
On this Queer Money, we talked about how to finance your gay wedding. How can gays and lesbians adapt when the traditional model doesn’t work?
Paying for Your Gay Wedding Video
Queer Money Sponsors
Paying for Your Gay Wedding Guest
- William S. Matthews is a certified financial counselor, real estate broker, home buyer instructor and event planner. He’s taught financial and real estate classes and workshops and counseled young people on creating healthy relationships with money. Matthews is the author of Everything I Needed to Know about Money I Learned from my Broke @$$ Friends.
Paying for Your Gay Wedding Show Notes
- More than 60% of the US population, 45% of baby boomers and 70% of millennials support same-sex marriage: http://www.pewresearch.org/data-trend/domestic-issues/attitudes-on-gay-marriage/
- None of the panel is aware of any gay or lesbian friends whose family have helped pay for their same-sex wedding.
- Straight and gay couples today pay for some or all of their wedding and then request help from family: http://gay.weddings.com/articles/gay-wedding-etiquette-questions.aspx
- With stagnant wages and the ever-increasing costs of weddings, no children (opposite-sex or same-sex) should rely on their parent’s to pay for all wedding expenses.
- Per Huffington Post in 2013, 28% of gay weddings have 100+ people: www.huffingtonpost.com/bernadette-coveney-smith/same-sex-weddings_b_4399014.html
- Per Advocate in 2014, gay weddings on average cost $15,849: www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2014/06/26/survey-same-sex-couples-spend-less-innovate-more-weddings
- Broach the support of same-sex marriage before asking for financial support
- Rosemarie Groner of BusyBudgeter.com shared how she spent $3,000 on her wedding.
- Sandy Smith of Yes I AM Cheap wrote about how she had a $5,000 wedding.
- Cameron Huddleston shared on Kiplinger her 8 pragmatic ways to spend $5,000 or less on weddings.
Paying for Your Gay Wedding Conclusion
Throw all traditions out the window and don’t expect financial support. Create your own traditions and be surprised if you get financial support.