Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
How do you uncover your purpose and find your Ikigai?
Financial well-being can empower you. The sooner you pay off your credit card debt, the sooner you’ll reach financial well-being. Get rid of credit card debt with the free 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Four questions to ask yourself to identify your ikigai
For most, a precarious financial situation is a symptom of something else. Our $51,000 in credit card debt, for example, was about seeking validation and love. But the things we buy rarely give us the sense of long-term happiness and fulfillment we’re hoping for. And while there are systemic issues that get in our way as the LGBTQ community, those roadblocks are overcome-able with the right purpose or motivation.
But how do you uncover your purpose? And more importantly, how do you take steps to build your life around that purpose?
On this episode of Queer Money®, we share the Japanese philosophy of ikigai that helped us find our purpose, explaining how the term translates to ‘reason for being.’ We walk you through the four questions to ask yourself to identify your ikigai, challenging you to consider what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs and what you can get paid well for.
Listen in to understand why purpose is the foundation of a happy gay life and learn how to design a plan to achieve your ikigai—and the financial wellbeing that comes with it!
Listen to find our insight on ikigai and how it can benefit you:
Topics covered on finding your ikigai
- Why a precarious financial situation is often a symptom of something else
- The Japanese work ikigai which translates to ‘reason for being’
- How we think about ikigai as the state of well-being one gets from a sense of fulfillment
- Finding your ikigai at the intersection of what you love, what you’re good at, what the world needs and what you can get paid well for
- Why being broke isn’t noble and abundance is your birthright
- Our advice on journaling or recording a voice memo to brainstorm around your ikigai
- How Megan Watt’s Discover. Act. Engage. can help you design a plan to achieve your ‘someday goals’
- The relationship among ikigai, financial well-being and fulfillment
- What makes ikigai the foundation of a happy gay life
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Resources about finding your ikigai
- Megan Watt on Queer Money® EP027
- Michiko Kumano
- Discover. Act. Engage. A 60-Day Catalyst Guide on Accomplishing Your Someday Goals by Megan Watt
- 5 Building Blocks of a Happy Gay Life
Watch below rather than listen to this Queer Money®:
How can you get more Debt Free Guys and Queer Money®?
Get more help to live bigger:
- How to Change Your Mind to Change Your Life
- How to Pay Off Credit Card Debt in 2022
- How to Start Being a Happy Gay Man
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.