Hi there! You new here? We love that you found our little corner of the web. Here at Debt Free Guys, we’re all about helping people experience the freedom of becoming debt free! Would you love to feel that relief? After reading our article below, see how we can help you more here.
How can I start ESG investing
Find out what it means to be a socially responsible investor, on this week’s Queer Money®. Then kick start your financial independence journey by getting your free copy of the 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher.
Learn how to customize your investments based on your values
So, you want to invest in the stock market. But you want to avoid investing in companies that harm the environment, violate workers’ rights or put people at risk. You know, things like firearms and tobacco. The solution is to invest in environmental, social and governance or ESG funds.
Certified Financial Planner Laura LaTourette is the Founder of Family Wealth Management, a financial planning and wealth management firm working to empower clients to live an authentic life and leave a legacy of love. Known on social media as ‘that lesbian financial planner,’ Laura is an expert in the realm of socially conscious investing and ESG funds.
On this episode of Queer Money®, Laura joins us to describe what it means to be a socially responsible investor and how a company qualifies to be included in an ESG fund. Laura explains why you don’t have to sacrifice returns to invest in an ESG portfolio and explores the best resources for choosing an ESG that aligns with your values.
Listen in for Laura’s vision of a rainbow network that keeps money in the LGBTQ community and learn how to customize your investments based on what’s important to you!
Get insight on socially conscious investing with Laura:
Topics covered on ESG investing
- What it means to be a socially responsible investor and why it’s gaining popularity
- How a company qualifies to be included in an ESG portfolio
- Why you don’t have to sacrifice returns to invest in environmental, social and governance funds
- Some of the reasons why a company might be removed from an ESG fund
- How to customize your investments based on your values
- Why some financial advisors are hesitant to adopt ESGs for their clients
- The pressure on companies to live up to ESG standards
- What ESG funds do to filter out rainbow-washing, wish cycling and turning a blind eye to workers’ rights
- The best resources for choosing an ESG specific to your values
- The movement to invest in small- and medium-sized companies or B Corps
- Why so many LGBTQ-focused funds haven’t been successful
- Laura’s aim to build a rainbow network that keeps money in the LGBTQ community
- The challenge of finding an LGBTQ financial planner/advocate for our community
Connect with Laura
Connect with David and John
- Debt Free Guys on Facebook
- Debt Free Guys on Twitter
- Debt Free Guys on YouTube
- 7-Step Credit Card Debt Slasher
- Queer Money Facebook Group
- Queer Money on Instagram
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Email [email protected]
Resources on ESG investing
- Amicus Brief in Support of LGBTQ Workers
- MSCI Indexes
- HRC Municipal Equality Index
- B Lab
- Harvard Paper on B Lab
- US|SIF Education Center
- CFP Certification
- FPA PridePlanners
- LGBTQ Elder Summit
- National LGBT Chamber of Commerce
Get more on investing :
- 4Key Tips for Investing in Volatile Markets
- 10 Steps to Super Simple Investing
- 10 Super Simple Investing Tips
We’re David and John Auten-Schneider, the Debt Free Guys and hosts of the Queer Money® podcast. We help queer people (and allies) live fabulously not fabulously broke by helping them 1) pay off credit card debt, 2) become part- or full-time entrepreneurs, and 3) save and invest for retirement.