Boredom, Your Wallet’s Enemy
The saying goes, “Idle hands are the devil’s workshop.” When we don’t keep ourselves busy, we get into trouble. Boredom had been and still to some degree can be a problem for us. Plus it is a major Although we are keeping busy these days building The Debt Free Guys business.
What we found was that when our minds or hands were idle, our wallets often were not. Whether it is mindless shopping online, going out for a glass of wine that turns into a $60 gourmet fete or a cheap brunch that turns into a $200 ‘Sunday Funday’ (yes we’ve done it too!), if we don’t have a spending plan, we’ll spend unconsciously, preventing you from paying off your debt. By simply being bored, we’re inclined to fill time with something counter to our goals, such as dining out, cocktails or shopping for things we didn’t need nor plan for in our budget. We have so many stories we could tell here, but that would make this a whopper of a post.
Combatting the Boredom
How do we address boredom? There’s another saying that comes to mind here, “Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.” We know it isn’t easy, but we found it best to try and have a back-up plan of things to do. With the plethora of list apps (here are 5 good ones) having a list of activities handy is pretty easy. Implementing them is the hard part. We suggest you make your lists as fun as you want and have some but not significant spending. Some of the easier are movie marathons, museum and art gallery visits and a stack of coupons/Groupons to places we want to go keeps us on the financial offense and help you manage your budget. Not only are we prepared when boredom strikes, we maintain control during those moments of weakness.
5 Things to Do When You are Bored
- Get outside and get active – ride a bike, run, go to the park or play a sport, paired with some snacks and a cheap bottle of wine from our list.
- Have a movie marathon with a specific theme. One of ours is Sci-fi. Here’s a great list. Add in your own theatre experience with popcorn and candy from the store.
- Find a way to volunteer at a local charity or charity event. Eventbrite.com is a great resource for finding some near you.
- Learn a new skill – keeping your education going can be as easy getting on the YouTube Eduction channel
- Become your family’s Money Master by download a Debt Free Guys book (yes, a little shameless plug)
Here Are Some More Great Reads:
[iframe id=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qn7geNWmN3A” mode=”normal” autoplay=”no”]